Details for WHU - Otto Beisheim School of Management
Type of Organization
Type of Education
Undergraduate, Post Graduate, Doctoral, Executive
Institution is part of
Wissenschaftliche Hochschule fur Unternehmensfuehrung
Vallendar, Rhineland-Palatinate, Germany
Sign Up Date to PRME
14 Jun 2013
Current Sharing Information on Progress Report Submission
15 Apr 2019
Sharing Information on Progress (2018)
Period Covered: Jan 2017 to Dec 2018
WHU - Otto Beisheim School of Management, is pleased to publish its third Sustainability Report 2017/2018, which summarizes the various activities and projects related to sustainability in the different areas, departments, and groups at WHU. The School looks forward to continuing its engagement with PRME. Excellence in education, research, and corporate connections provides WHU with the opportunity to spread enthusiasm and assemble great minds. By working together, we will improve business and society.
Achievements Curriculum Integration in the Field of Corporate Responsibility and Sustainability
- WHU-wide Code of Conduct as a basis for a stimulating learning environment (developed by a team of faculty, students and staff).
- Academic content and mandatory courses on CSR in all programs, e.g.
o Business Ethics, Management Based on Ethical Values and Social entrepreneurship in BSc
o Ethics in Management: Corporate Social Responsibility and Operations Strategy & Sustainability in MSc
o Legal Ethics and Business Ethics in MLB
o Responsible Leadership elements, Leadership Credo, Course Operations Strategy and Sustainability in MBA programs, etc.
- “General Studies” Program with mandatory courses related to business ethics, management & sustainability, personal development, etc.
- CSR-related business simulations (e.g. “Sustainability Lab” in BSc and MSc, Carbon Trade Simulation Game in MBA, etc.).
- WHU-wide guest lectures by leaders from business and society about current issues of social responsibility in economy and society (e.g. Anselm Bilgiri – Benedictine monk and Father, Norbert Röttgen - former Federal Minister of Environment in Germany, Markus Dinslaken - Head of Global Diversity and Inclusion at Henkel, Prof. Schnellhuber – Director of the Potsdam Institute for Climate Impact Research, and many more).
- Diversity-related scholarships in WHU’s degree programs (e.g. WHU diversity scholarship, scholarship for women in business, etc.).
- Different student organizations and conferences related to CSR (e.g. WHU Studenten helfen e.V., WHU First Responder, WHU Walks for Charity, SensAbility – the social enterprise conference, Gender Balance Day conference, etc.).
- Semester or modules abroad are obligatory in all programs to sharpen intercultural competences and raise awareness regarding global economic, environmental and social issues.
- International modules in Post-experience programs and Executive Education include visits to social organizations (e.g. school for underprivileged children, hospital, etc.).
- Open Enrollment General Management Program (Executive Education) with focus on social entrepreneurship and including a social project abroad – in cooperation with the social business Bookbridge.
- More intense alignment of the activities across our programs & departments.
Achievements Research Development in the Field of Corporate Responsibility and Sustainability
- Center for Responsible Leadership as a platform for teaching and knowledge creation in the field of leadership and personal development related to responsibility and values.
- "The Sustainability Lab" as a platform for cooperation and exchange of knowledge in the fields of teaching, research and professional practice regarding sustainability.
- Doctoral dissertations and other research output covering topics such as sustainable supply chains, green logistics, accounting fraud and ethics, sustainable investment, measuring sustainability, and corporate social responsibility.
- Conception and introduction of the Campus Car project based on a doctoral dissertation (making available diesel-powered cars for a small fee which benefits the charitable student initiative “WHU Studenten helfen e.V.”).
- Analysis and considerations regarding an Assistant Professorship in the field of sustainability.
- Better communication and mutual learning processes through integration of CSR topics in annual reportings of chairs.