Details for Othman Yeop Abdullah Graduate School of Business
Type of Organization
Type of Education
Post Graduate, Doctoral, Executive
Institution is part of
Universiti Utara Malaysia
Sintok, Kedah, Malaysia
Sign Up Date to PRME
11 Oct 2011
Current Sharing Information on Progress Report Submission
12 Jan 2018
Sharing Information on Progress (2017)
Sharing Information on Progress (2015)
Period Covered: Jan 2015 to Jan 2016
The report highlights the activities and directions taken by the Othman Yeop Abdullah Graduate School of Business, Universiti Utara Malaysia, Sintok, Kedah, Malaysia over the period 2014 to 2015 in advancing the principles of the PRiME initiative.
Achievements Curriculum Integration in the Field of Corporate Responsibility and Sustainability
Integration of Sustainability and CSR in Curriculum and Research Programs
OYA-GSB is in process of getting reorganized from the earlier Post Graduate and Research wing of College of Business (COB). As a part of COB, it has been offering courses for cultivating CSR perspectives among its management students. There are two types of courses – Core Subjects, which are compulsory for all the students and Elective Subjects, which have to be opted by the students out of the courses offered by a particular specialization. The details of CSR based courses are as below:
1. CSR in Core Subjects: CSR is part of the suite of Core Subject (Subject Code GMUL 5063) LAW, ETHICS AND CORPORATE SOCIAL RESPONSIBILITY. The students are taught topics such as theories of CSR, principles of corporate citizenship, corporate social audit, corporate governance, value driven leadership and ethical compliance. It is a 3 credit course.
2. Elective Courses in Social and Community Development: OYA-GSB in its present form offers an MBA in Sustainable Development. The management students have to opt for compulsory Core Subjects equivalent to 30 credit hours and they can choose 4 subjects (equivalent to 12 credit hours) out of 6 subjects offered for specialization in Sustainable Development, namely:
a. GMUL5073: Legal Aspects in Development
b. SEED5013: Systems Approach to Sustainable Development
c. SEED5023: Topics in Sustainable Development
d. SEED5043: Ecology for Development Planners
e. SEED5063: Natural Resources Management
f. SEED5073: Economics of Development
In addition to the course offerings, the students are encouraged to undertake research in CSR, sustainable development and rural ICT. Some of the recent thesis examples are as below:
1. Khabashna, Wissam Yousry Ali (2009) A Sustainable Mobile Workshop Application for Providing Users With the Learning Materials. Master’s thesis, Universiti Utara Malaysia.
2. Abolohom, Abdullatif Abdullah Ahmed (2009) Weather Information System for Farmers Based on WAP Technology. Master’s thesis, Universiti Utara Malaysia.
Achievements Research Development in the Field of Corporate Responsibility and Sustainability
Knowledge Development with CSR and Sustainable Development as a Focus Area
OYA-GSB is carving out its own niche as a premier Business School by having a comprehensive pool of faculty members in each and every business management aspects such as Accounting, Banking and Finance, Entrepreneurship, Human Resource, International Business, Marketing, Production and Operation. With the tag line “Cultivating Perspectives. Sharing Solutions. Building the Future”, UUM OYA GSB aims to produce future business leaders with broad international scope, excellent decision making abilities and capable of executing changes for the betterment of business, society, and environment.
A. Centres of Excellence (CoE)
The emphasis covers not only on the economic and business issues but also their impact on the society and environment. This is reflected by OYA GSB’s five focus/niche areas:
1. Financial analysis and policy;
2. Business leadership and organizational change;
3. Business information systems,
4. Planning and management; consumer study; and
5. Sustainability and community development.
Each focus area will ultimately become a Centre of Excellence (CoE). The Sustainable and Community Development (SCD) is one of the focus areas. The SCD-CoE will ensure that the focus area is adequately represented in
• OYA-GSB Educational programs such as MBA, DBA and PhD
• Conferences and Seminars for SCD
B. Industry Projects and Training
1. Executive Trainings: OYA-GSB will be conducting training courses starting December 2011:
a. CxO Training: Aimed at climate change based awareness and business opportunities for Presidents, CEOs, CFOs and other policy makers. These will be half day/ one day sessions with limited participants.
b. Senior Management Training: A short and specific training modules from 2-4 days would be planned for VPs, general managers and other decision makers.
c. Diploma in Sustainable Development: A 10-15 week part time course on weekends would be planned for managers and junior managers from not only industries but also from government, NGOs and Institutions.
2. Industry Projects: OYA-GSB will be forging partnership with different stakeholders like industries, government and socially oriented agencies, financial and global institutions for joint research or industry projects in SCD beginning January 2012.