Details for University of Mannheim
Type of Organization
Type of Education
Undergraduate, Post Graduate, Doctoral, Executive
Sign Up Date to PRME
08 Oct 2014
Current Sharing Information on Progress Report Submission
09 Jul 2019
Sharing Information on Progress (2019)
Period Covered: Oct 2017 to May 2019
As an institution of higher education involved in the development of future managers, the University of Mannheim, Business School is committed to the implementation of the Principles for Responsible Management Education. Generating sustainable value for business and society at large is a core objective of the University of Mannheim, Business School. In this report we demonstrate how this objective is implemented into all areas of our activities – from teaching to research and extra-curricular activities.
Achievements Curriculum Integration in the Field of Corporate Responsibility and Sustainability
- Each chair at the Business School offers multiple courses covering corporate responsibility and sustainability topics. The courses to which corporate responsibility and sustainability are integrated range from Ethics, Corporate, and Society (taught by the Chair of Philosophy) to Sustainable Leadership in Public and Nonprofit Organizations (taught by the Chair of Business Administration, Public and Nonprofit Management) and Research Seminar in the Sharing Economy (taught by the Chair of Small and Medium Sized Enterprises and Entrepreneurship). These are only few examples of the wide array of courses in which these topics appear.
- In addition, the Business School has a Chair of Corporate Social Responsibility, which teaches courses exclusively on these topics. These courses include a course on Corporate Social Responsibility, CSR Research Seminar, and Social Value Creation Seminar, to name a few examples.
- The MBA program has as a mandatory and integral part of their curriculum a Social Sustainability Project, which is a project management challenge that gives students the opportunity to make a difference in the community.
- Corporate responsibility and sustainability topics will continue to play an important part in the curriculum of the Business School at the University of Mannheim.
Achievements Research Development in the Field of Corporate Responsibility and Sustainability
- There are multiple ongoing research projects around corporate responsibility and sustainability topics at the Business School.
- In addition, numerous studies have already been published by the different chairs around corporate responsibility and sustainability topics in top-ranked journals, including Journal of Marketing, Business & Society, and Journal of Business Ethics.
- The numerous partner organizations of the Business School at the University of Mannheim include Unicef, Fuchs, SAP, WWF, and Deutsche Bank. The Business School collaborates with partner organizations on multiple fronts. For example, representatives of the partner organizations give guest lectures at different courses, and researchers conduct successful joint research projects with partner organizations. For instance, a joint research project of the Chair of Corporate Social Responsibility and a partner company received the German Science Award in 2016.
- Corporate responsibility and sustainability topics will continue to play an important part in the research conducted at the Business School at the University of Mannheim.