PRME Working Group on Gender Equality
***Join Gender Equality Working Group webinar on their book: Integrating Gender Equality into Business & Management Education, 28 April 11:00 EDT (NY time) Sign up here ***
***NEW Gender Equality Working Group Book: Integrating Gender Equality into Business and Management Education (See Resources Section below)***
In March 2010, the UN Global Compact and UNIFEM (now part of UN Women) launched the Women’s Empowerment Principles (WEPs). The goal of WEPs is to “help the private sector focus on key elements integral to promoting gender equality in the workplace, marketplace and community.” In response to this new initiative, in January 2011 the PRME Secretariat hosted a Human Rights Webinar focused on the WEPs. The goal of the webinar was to consider the relevance of the WEPs for the academic community, and highlight the importance of embedding gender into business school curriculum around the world. During the webinar, participants expressed interest in developing a PRME working group on gender equality (or inequality), in order to further integrate the WEPs into the work of PRME. Discussions were held following the webinar, and the PRME Working Group on Gender Equality was launched in October 2011. The First Webinar of the PRME Working Group on Gender Equality was held on Friday, 18 November, 2011.
Goals & Activities
The PRME Working Group on Gender Equality brings together academics and employers in order to provide support and resources for integrating gender issues and awareness into management education, business school curricula, and related research to facilitate respect and support for the WEPs and PRME.
To accomplish its mission, the Working Group on Gender Equality has established the following goals:
- Develop an interdisciplinary network of academics employers and other stakeholders who have integrated, or who are interested in integrating, gender issues into business school curricula, research and other areas where management education takes place. This network will include faculty in the arts & sciences (e.g., anthropologists, sociologists, business historians) as well as those in business disciplines.
- Facilitate a global repository of resources for integrating gender into management education and research.
- Advocate for new research and the dissemination of knowledge on the integration of gender issues into management education.
- Conduct analysis of the UN Global Compact companies and link them as appropriate with the PRME community for research and case study creation.
- Work with other PRME partners and working groups to encourage the integration of gender issues into their activities.
- Promote awareness and facilitate the integration of gender issues into management education and research, in alignment with the goals of the WEPs.
One of the specific outcomes of the Working Group has been the creation of a central, easily accessible repository of links and teaching resources for integrating gender equality into management education.
- Integrating Gender Equality into Business and Management Education, published by Greanleaf Publishing, is the first book in the Gender Book Series from the Working Group, on Gender Equality as a Challenge for Business and Management Education. The book provides conceptual and research rationales as to why responsible management education must address the issue of gender equality. It also identifies materials and resources that will assist faculty in integrating gender issues and awareness into a variety of disciplines and fields. These include specific case studies, syllabi, texts, and good practices or innovations that assess or otherwise address the role of gender in various educational environments. The book is designed to help faculty integrate the topic of gender equality into their own teaching and gain support for the legitimacy of gender equality as an important management education topic in their institutions. Patricia M. Flynn recently co-authored an article on ‘Closing the Gender Gap’ in BizEd magazine, which draws from a chapter in the book.
- Global Gender Equality Resource Repository. The PRME Working Group on Gender Equality created the Global Resource Repository as a central, easily accessible repository of links and teaching resources for integrating gender equality into management education, and launched on the occasion of the 3rd Global Forum. Faculty from around the globe have contributed to the ongoing development of the Repository, which provides a continuously updated inventory of case studies, syllabi, text books, best practices, related research, search engines, a list of organisations that address gender-related topics, and more.
- The Second book in the Gender Book Series is expected for coming publication through Greenleaf Publishing. Book 1, Integrating Gender Equality into Management Education, was published in 2015, and Book 2, on Gender Equality in the Workplace will be developed for release in 2016.
- View the PRME webinar on Gender Equality in Management Education.
- Read the Working Group's Discussion Paper
Interested in contributing to the resource repository? Send us an email.
How to Join
If you are interested in joining the working group and/or contributing to the repository, please send an email to PRMESecretariat@unprme.org.
Maureen Kilgour, Associate Professor of Business Administration, Université de St-Boniface, Canada MKilgour@ustboniface.ca
Patricia M. Flynn, Trustee Professor of Economics & Management, Bentley University, US firstname.lastname@example.org
Kathryn Haynes, Northern Society Chair in Accounting & Finance, Newcastle University Business School, Newcastle University, UK email@example.com