Details for Universidad San Ignacio de Loyola
Type of Organization
Type of Education
Undergraduate, Doctoral, Executive
Lima, Lima, Peru
Sign Up Date to PRME
30 May 2018
Current Sharing Information on Progress Report Submission
Letter of Commitment (2018)
Achievements Curriculum Integration in the Field of Corporate Responsibility and Sustainability
1. USIL is the only university in Peru that offers undergraduate students from all careers, the opportunity to graduate with a specialization diploma in Sustainability and Social Responsibility, parallel to the degree they have chosen. The four courses that make up the diploma are:
• Principles of Sustainable Development
• Social Responsibility management
• Design and evaluation for social responsibility projects
• Social Responsibility and public policies
From 2010 to 2018, more than six thousands students sign up to take the courses.
2. For the last 4 years, more than 7200 student participated in 463 volunteer’s activities with a sustainable and social responsibility focus. And from the second semester of 2018, we are introducing 50 mandatory hours of social responsibility actions/activities/projects as a request for all the students to graduate. Thanks to the more than 30 public organizations, private institutions and civil society alliance that we have, we are able to offer different actions, places and projects to our students, so they can develop soft skills during their participation related to their major. Some of our strategic alliances are with AIESEC, WWF, Kimberly Clark, IBM, United Nation Volunteers, Ministry of Women and Vulnerable Populations, Ministry of Labor and Promotion of Employment, and so on.
3. The main educational guideline for the 8 faculties of the university is based in five general competences: Communication, Globalization, Investigation, Business and Human Develop. We are advocating to add a sustainable focus to the one related to business, so the courses in general from all the majors will insert the vision of doing business with a social, economic and environmental positive impact. The idea is that at least two courses in general studies (1st and 2nd semester), two courses in management studies (3er and 4th semester) and 4 courses of the major specialization (6th, 7th, 9th and 10th semester) introduce and develop sustainable and social responsibility cases, concepts and practices. In 2017, 110 courses from the 8 faculties, send
4. In 2017 we organize three academic events, to share and promote among the community, good sustainable and social responsibility practices of our institution, other universities, social organizations and public and private institutions, from different sectors. Last year we receive more than 500 students during the 2nd sustainable and social responsibility week, Round table about responsible communications and Talks about the Sustainable Development Goals (SDG).
5. In 2017 we launched two executive education courses: “Innovation methodologies applied to Social Responsibility” and “Social and environmental risk management for investment projects”. For the second semester of 2018 we will launch a new executive program: “Social innovation and sustainable management”.
Achievements Research Development in the Field of Corporate Responsibility and Sustainability
1. Currently we are participating in an investigation that seeks to understand what means Happiness and sustainable quality of life among Lima dwellings. We are collaborating with Arellano Marketing (a Peruvian well known Marketing Research Company, EY (Ernst and Young Peru) and Peru2021 (Peruvian organization related to social responsibility). This research will give companies a clear picture of how to invest in sustainable initiatives that would help the community.
2. In 2017 we published our first book “Sostenibilidad y Responsabilidad Social, Los Objetivos de Desarrollo Sostenible, El Reto 2030” a summary of the 1st University forum of Sustainability and Social Responsibility were 5 different universities, 6 private companies, 1 public office from a minister and 2 civil organizations, participate and shared how they implement the SDG from their organization.
3. In 2018 we will publish our second book “Planeta Sostenible” that will have a summary of the 2nd Sustainable and social responsibility week were we discuss the roll of the companies and some volunteer organizations during the Peruvian natural disaster “Fenomeno de El niño”in 2017. This publication will also include 5 articles from the university authorities to share with all our stakeholders how we put in place different sustainable and social responsibility strategies, so they can support and join us to accomplish better results.
4. We will form an Advisory Council with different stakeholders, including public and private organizations to share our social and environmental practices so we can receive feedback, suggestions, and work together towards some mutual projects. We also expect to share our student’s professional profiles to see if we are complying with what the labor market needs from the future workers and to receive information to prepare better our students.
5. We work with Calidda (the main gas distribution company for Lima) in a project with positive impact among women in vulnerable situations from the outskirts of Lima. The project is call “Entrepreneur woman” and we give the academic and entrepreneur support for the project, by providing the teachers and volunteer students that help developing classes and advising, in a one by one action, to all the women participating for a period of two months.