Details for Higher Business School of State University of Management
Type of Organization
Type of Education
Undergraduate, Post Graduate
Institution is part of
State University of Management
Moscow, Russian Federation
Sign Up Date to PRME
05 Mar 2018
Current Sharing Information on Progress Report Submission
Letter of Commitment (2018)
Achievements Curriculum Integration in the Field of Corporate Responsibility and Sustainability
We are confident that the problems of sustainable development will be a critical factor of the business school success in the nearest future.
We are aware of the need to develop new thinking and new managerial skills. Therefore, issues of sustainable development are fully integrated into strategic and operational processes of the HBS.
The HBS strives to unite students – business representatives and faculty for discussing of issues of sustainable development, responsible management and formation of socially responsible leaders.
In the last decade, successful business was defined by the concepts of profitability and investment return. Nowadays reality makes one look at the world through the prism of limited resources. Risk used to be determined by the issues of employment or health threats and safety. Now factors of bioterrorism and global warming are considered, for example, as potential threats to the supply network.
There is no separate course on the sustainable development at the HBS. This topic goes through all the disciplines, for instance, through a risk map in particular disciplines, and in the final attestation paper related to investment projects.
The biggest change in business managers’ thinking refers to the issues of determining the concept of net profit.
We are fully committed to the concept of “triple P”: “Now we are thinking about people and the planet, and then about profit”. Transferring this concept to the strategic and operational processes of our business school, this conception sounds like this:
- (people) – we are the partners of the students and companies in designing and implementation of educational pathways, creation, investigation and reengineering of business and providing wide range of consulting and information services. Our goal is to effectively interact with each other for achieving the same objectives with the support and in close cooperation with social institutions at all levels;
- (planet) – our efforts are wholeheartedly aimed at increasing the importance of the environment and its features, under conditions of protecting and supporting of the natural resources renewal as well as protection of the ecological heritage, as reflected in particular topics of the MBA curriculum;
- (profit) – through the most effective combination of resources create and maintain extremely high level of added value for increasing the specificity of the educational programmes, including MBA. The sustainability of the HBS activity as a university business school can be ensured only in offering the business educational programmes of various levels and forms to the different target groups.
Achievements Research Development in the Field of Corporate Responsibility and Sustainability
We integrate the principles of sustainable development into our brands and innovations, ensuring business growth. We work with our customers and suppliers, involving employees in the process of establishing a new partnership.
We have developed a simple scheme that clearly demonstrates how the HBS and its MBA programme contributes to sustainable development and helps business, basing it on 2 global principles:
1. Ensuring the growth of business school income.
Because that 7 billion people live on our planet, its resources are very limited. This means that sustainable and equitable development is the only acceptable option for our business school.
We believe that business growth and social and environmental development do not contradict each other. The creation of the worthy living conditions for everyone helps to increase of business incomes. Following the principles of sustainable development helps to create brands for achieving meaningful goals. By reducing the amount of waste and consumption of materials, we increase efficiency and reduce costs.
A crucial factor in ensuring the growth of business school incomes and, consequently, in providing the financial sustainability of its work is the HBS’ presence on both the open and the corporate markets of educational services.
The HBS brand, which is developing sustainably, provides more than half of the incomes through the MBA programme. Sustainable development creates opportunities for innovation, calling upon us to change the structure and content of the MBA programme in the conditions of limited resources, affecting both environmental and social issues. This opens a new market for us and allows our brand to meet the changing needs of customers, becoming closer to them and more needed.
We put sustainable development at the center of the business development model of our school, thus strengthen our relationships with students and companies and enhancing our business. It helps us maintain the value and relevance of our educational programmes, including the MBA programme for consumers, while inspiring the current and future HBS staff.
2. Cooperation with partners.
The global problems, such as deforestation, food safety and others, are too large and complicated to be solved by any individual company, especially by business school. However, cooperating with various organizations, we can combine resources, knowledge, skills and people and thus support each other.
We are planning to work more actively together with governmental and non-governmental organizations, as well as other companies in the business education environment, to provide fundamental changes in the entire system.
3. We strive to adapt the system of business education to modern challenges and to make it attractive for the potential clients – personnel of companies as well as the companies in general. At the same time, we pay special attention to the principles of social responsibility and sustainability to the business community. We have already developed and will implement this year the master-degree programme “Management of sustainable development of business processes”