Details for Geneva School of Economics and Management
Type of Organization
Type of Education
Undergraduate, Post Graduate, Doctoral, Executive
Institution is part of
University of Geneva
Sign Up Date to PRME
13 Oct 2017
Current Sharing Information on Progress Report Submission
Letter of Commitment (2017)
Achievements Curriculum Integration in the Field of Corporate Responsibility and Sustainability
In the new Strategy 2025 of the Geneva School of Economics and Management (GSEM), which will be announced soon, responsibility and sustainability play a key role. For example, our mission explicitly highlights that we “educate responsible leaders”, “responsibility” is defined as one of our values, and “sustainability” is one of the three strategic focal areas.
Indeed, sustainability, corporate social responsibility, and public-private partnerships have been traditionally key strengths of our school that originates from a social sciences faculty. As Geneva is home to many international organizations and NGOs that are addressing and/or facing sustainability related issues, the GSEM is uniquely positioned.
This strategic focus is also reflected in our recent faculty recruiting plans. In January 2018, a Professor of Responsible Management and Sustainability will join our school, and we plan to open another position in the area of Responsible Leadership soon.
Our previous achievements/activities and plans in the near future in education in the field of corporate responsibility and sustainability include the following (among others):
• In the Bachelor’s program in Economics and Management, corporate responsibility and sustainability are an integral part of various economics and management courses. For example, in the core course “Introduction to Management,” the students have to develop a business plan for a business idea in the area of sustainability. In addition, dedicated electives, like “Business & Society,” “Managing Social Responsibility,” and “Responsible Marketing,” address these topics.
• In the Master’s program in Management, corporate responsibility and sustainability are also an integral part of various courses, such as in “Management Innovation.” In addition, as of 2018, the program will include a core course in “Responsible Management.”
• In our executive education programs, corporate responsibility and sustainability are integrated in most programs, notably in the International Organizations MBA program and in the Executive MBA program. In addition, we have dedicated programs in these areas, for example, Certificate and Diploma programs in Corporate Social Responsibility.
Achievements Research Development in the Field of Corporate Responsibility and Sustainability
Our previous achievements/activities and plans in the near future in research in the field of corporate responsibility and sustainability include the following (among others):
• Several faculty members focus in their research explicitly on corporate responsibility and sustainability. For example, our school has a Professor of Responsible Finance, who published several top-tier publications and received prestigious awards in the area.
• With the recent recruitment of a Professor of Responsible Management and Sustainability, we aim at strengthening our research activities in this area.