Details for Karlstad Business School
Type of Organization
Type of Education
Undergraduate, Post Graduate, Doctoral, Executive
Institution is part of
Karlstad, Varmland, Sweden
Sign Up Date to PRME
24 Feb 2017
Current Sharing Information on Progress Report Submission
Letter of Commitment (2017)
Achievements Curriculum Integration in the Field of Corporate Responsibility and Sustainability
The business school is having different research areas and teaching plans in all the six departments. In teaching Social responsibility and business ethics, we are offering different courses at all levels: undergraduate, graduate and post- graduate (doctoral). These courses are embedded in the ongoing research we are conducting in different areas. This also allows us to understand the challenges and complexity of corporate social responsibility from different perspectives in a multi-disciplinary way. We are encouraging our student to do their undergraduate and graduate theses in these areas too.
To mention some:
A. Business administration: we are pioneers in integrating CSR to service research. So far, we have two doctoral thesis published in this area and have several publications in internationally recognized journals including books both in Swedish and English. We have specific courses in business administration at graduate level, for instance, Corporate Governance, which integrates CSR and corporate governance to have an understanding of values-based governance and challenge our students to do a case study, which are related to UN Global Compact, GRI and millennium developmental goals.
B. Working life science: We are conducting critical research in work related issues on societal values in relation to employees’ right, gender, diversity, equality and immigration. To go deeper in these areas we have PhD students conducting several studies and many undergraduate and graduate level theses conducted in these areas.
C. Media and communication: Business by Web and Web Analytic is one of the areas we are working to understand how CSR is communicating. We also are active in research in the areas of Privacy and ICT4D (ICT for Development). ICT4D is one of the initiatives we are working on building up education capacity with a partner university in Africa and initiators of ICT4D conference.
D. Law: In this department we are stirring business social responsibility and ethics (including environment) from all perspectives based on legal systems and theory, contracts, markets, consumers inconsequential right and family. Tax and corporate social responsibility is also one of the main areas growing fast in this department. These perspectives are built ongoing research in the department.
E. Economics (National economy): In economics we have both macro and micro perspectives specifically in environmental sustainability – ecological economy. This is focused on environmental change in the future and it’s planning to avoid social and environmental crises. We are working with the governmental agency on disaster prevention.
F. Tourism: As tourism is part of the Swedish society we are studying to understand the challenges of sustainable tourism, which is embedded bot in societal and environmental issues. We are working on specific areas of sustainable development (Environment), globalization, ethics and gender and diversity.
Achievements Research Development in the Field of Corporate Responsibility and Sustainability
We have a very long tradition in terms of partnership, public-private partnerships and dialogue with stakeholders in different contexts in our business school. To point out some, our research centers Service Research Centre (CTF) and Service And Market Oriented Transport research (SAMOT) have achieved this over the last two decades. We are developing service innovation lab, for instance, as a platform for creating a dialogue among practitioners and researchers. To point out some of the research and cooperation:
• We have worked on understanding analyzing the sustainability issues of IKEA s one of our main case studies for more than 15years and published a book titled “Values based service business cases of Ikea” by Bo Edvardsson and Bo Enquist (2009, Routledge publisher).
• We have worked with other cases like Starbucks, H&M and Löfbergs and published several articles and conference papers.
• Two doctoral thesis based on different cases on sustainability and sustainable business.
o Johnson, M. (2007), Stakeholder Dialogue for Sustainable Service, Doctoral thesis, Karlstad University Studies, No. 51, Karlstad, Sweden.
o Sebhatu, Samuel Petros. (2010) Corporate Social Responsibility for Sustainable Service Dominant Logic, Karlstad University Studies, 2010 no.10, Karlstad, Sweden.
• We have worked and developed several cases studies in relation to public transport as a transformative tool for livable and sustainable cities and city regions. In this case we have looked into mobility, social and environmental challenges of cities in different parts of the world, such as Stockholm, Gothenburg, Freiburg, Paris, Cape Town, Zurich, Buenos Aires, London and Jakarta.
We have ongoing research on
• CTF related to business and public organization contribution towards sustainability and social responsibility – Transformative service for prosperity.
• Law - Tax and corporate social responsibility with Swedish Tax office authority.
• Societal values in relation to employees’ right, gender, diversity, equality and immigration.
• ICT4D (ICT for Development).