Details for Universidad de Monterrey
Type of Organization
Type of Education
Undergraduate, Post Graduate, Executive
San Pedro Garza Garcia, Nuevo Leon, Mexico
Sign Up Date to PRME
26 Sep 2014
Current Sharing Information on Progress Report Submission
26 Oct 2017
Sharing Information on Progress (2017)
Achievements Curriculum Integration in the Field of Corporate Responsibility and Sustainability
Activites implemented by UDEM:
• In 2011 a new entrepreneurship program for students in the School of Business at the Universidad de Monterrey was introduced. The vision of the program is to raise awareness in young entrepreneurial university and explore business models for economic and social sustainability initiatives or business projects.
• UDEM has an innovative pedagogical model, its faculty trainings focusing on integrating student-centered service learning opportunities into courses of all disciplines, deep collaboration between academic and student affairs, and the many courses, social projects, centers, and scholarship programs designed to develop students as changemakers.
• UDEM serves the community with a measurable and sustainable social impact. Evidence includes initiatives such as Prepa Politecnica, CESADE, and the Universidad de Barrios that engage students in real-world problem-solving for social good.
• UDEM has invested infrastructure and campus coordination to meaningfully leverage the national student service hour requirement to steer and guide students towards impactful projects, rather than trivial volunteer hours that don’t challenge students to apply their emerging knowledge and skill for social good.
• UDEM exhibits a strong general studies program that aims to offer every student the foundations knowledge and skills to succeed in the world through coursework that allows the university’s tradition and core values to transcend and become useful frameworks for advancing a successful professional career and a building a life of meaning.
• “Ashoka U,” the program focused on higher education of the international organization Ashoka, honored UDEM as Changemaker Campus.
Among the ways our students are committed to the community are:
• ENACTUS UDEM, we support young people with business ideas through trainings that give knowledge to undertake.
• BIAA is a project born from the lack of opportunities and gaps that have the young entrepreneurs to launch their business ideas. Aims to support young people with business ideas through training that gives them the knowledge and skills to take your project and make it grow.
• Fineco, ecological finance initiative carried out in public schools students coordinating social service.
• Nopalco is a productive project in marginalized areas of Zacatecas.
Future actions to integrate social responsibility and sustainability in the curriculum.
• Replicate models for the formation of social entrepreneurs as the Periclean Scholars (Global Citizenship) of Elon University and Baloon Chile program.
• Integrate a new course on ‘Changemaking’ into UDEM’s general studies program, which would be modeled after UDEM’s successful social entrepreneurship course already required for all students in the business school.
• Integrate ‘Changemaking’ modules into all six courses that are part of UDEM’s general studies program, deepening the connections students experience between general studies program content – such as statistical interpretation, social thought of the church, global competencies, academic writing, leadership in the organization, and comparative international contexts – and UDEM’s mission and values of living a life of service.
• Strengthen social entrepreneurship courses with Service-Learning methodology so that students and communities can carry the proposed projects successfully.
• Increase the number of social enterprise projects that are developed within the course of business plans, so they can be strengthened and developed by UDEM’s business incubator.
Achievements Research Development in the Field of Corporate Responsibility and Sustainability
Within UDEM results obtained in research on social responsibility and sustainability are:
• Publication in indexed scientific journals related to social issues at different types of organizations, chapters for books on social responsibility and compliance of normativity within organizations, conferences related with the benefits of socially responsible performance.
• Implementation of applied projects by master students in companies that are committed to the principles of Global Compact and having social responsibility practices.
• Writing business cases where the benefits of social responsibility and sustainability by a particular company are exposed, or where an ethical dilemma for any person who is within a given organization arises.
UDEM has developed a research-oriented to the study of sustainability and social responsibility of public and private organizations in Mexico. This plan is composed of five different axes oriented to the study, reduction and relief of poverty and inequality in the metropolitan area of Monterrey. The five areas that research shows are:
1. Documentation of successful experiences of social enterprises in the metropolitan area of Monterrey in the interest of strengthening the theoretical and methodological discussion on social entrepreneurship in the Latin American context.
2. Development and implementation of inclusive business models to solve social problems from a market perspective through the analysis of practices developed by socially responsible and sustainable business.
3. Analysis of the benefits and implications of humanistic management within organizations from a holistic perspective, where dimensions such as spirituality, decent work, ethics and the inclusion of vulnerable groups are considered.
4. Generation, analysis and systematization of university educational models aimed at social inclusion and improving the quality of life of people living in poverty or marginalization.
5. Strengthening the civil society or NGOs to provide them with the necessary management tools to enable them to increase their social impact, while ensuring their operation under sustainability criteria.