Details for WU - Wirtschaftsuniversitaet Wien / Vienna University of Economics and Business
Type of Organization
Type of Education
Undergraduate, Post Graduate, Doctoral, Executive
Institution is part of
WU - Wirtschaftsuniversitaet Wien / Vienna University of Economics and Business
Vienna, Vienna, Austria
Sign Up Date to PRME
10 Feb 2014
Current Sharing Information on Progress Report Submission
29 Apr 2016
Sharing Information on Progress (2016)
Period Covered: Jan 2014 to Apr 2016
WU is aware of its societal impact, both on a regional as well as international level. As one of the largest business universities in Europe – and especially as a public university – we are aware that our stakeholders, our students, our employees as well as our peers and the professional and civil society expect us to be at the forefront of change, to not only teach but incorporate and live the values of awareness, openness, diversity, responsibility, accountability.
Achievements Curriculum Integration in the Field of Corporate Responsibility and Sustainability
WU is committed to sustainability. It applies the principles of sustainability to teaching, research, and university management and stakeholder relations in order to fulfill its social responsibilities. In summer 2013, WU set up a Competence Center for Sustainability with two full-time positions, which is in charge of coordinating the diverse sustainability activities at WU and driving sustainability efforts in teaching, research, university management, and relations to society at large. With the new Competence Center, sustainability has become institutionally embedded in the university. The Competence Center defines its role as a networking platform and as a service provider for WU staff, faculty, and students. It plays an active part in WU’s strategic development. Among other things, WU
• has set up a sustainability process regarding topics such as ecology, social issues, and research.
• offers an undergraduate module called “Sustainable Economics and Business“ (“Zukunftsfähiges Wirtschaften”), which provides knowledge about the social and ecological impact of economic activities and decision-making processes. Each semester, about 3000 students from nearly all WU degree programs attend lectures from this module. The complementary seminars are mandatory in the second part of WU’s undergraduate degree programs, e.g. in Business Administration. Currently, up to 900 students attend a total of 30 of these seminars every semester.
• offers a master degree program entitled “Socio-Ecological Economics and Policy.” This innovative program offers training in socioeconomic analysis of the socio-ecological challenges of the 21st century. The program’s interdisciplinary approach builds upon three major pillars: theory, method, and application. Relevance for policy making and organizational practice is emphasized throughout the program.
• has conducted a survey on the role of sustainability in teaching in order to better understand how the university can best support sustainability-related teaching activities.
• will offer students a list of all lectures and seminars related to sustainability topics.
Achievements Research Development in the Field of Corporate Responsibility and Sustainability
WU maintains close and well established links to the business community. The exchange of knowledge with society at large is an important part of our sustainability initiatives. Among other things, WU
• offers several courses which address CSR topics.
• provides courses explicitly dedicated to CSR topics as part of the aforementioned “Sustainable Economics and Business“ module (“Zukunftsfähiges Wirtschaften”). Many of these courses are taught by practitioners.
• pursues, in its executive education program, a responsible leadership concept that the WU Executive Academy has developed specifically for professional MBA students. This responsible leadership concept puts particular emphasis on personal leadership skills and sustainability.
• will increase its efforts to cooperate closely with the business community in the fields of CSR and sustainability.