Details for Porto Business School
Type of Organization
Type of Education
Post Graduate, Executive
Institution is part of
University of Porto
Porto, Porto, Portugal
Sign Up Date to PRME
15 Jul 2013
Current Sharing Information on Progress Report Submission
09 Nov 2017
Sharing Information on Progress (2017)
Period Covered: Jul 2013 to Nov 2017
This document is the first SIP Report issued by Porto Business School and covers the 2013-2017 period. An introductory chapter on the Institutional Context is provided, covering an Historical Overview, some details on Organization and Governance and information on the current strategic cycle for 2016-2018. The following two chapters include recent achievements and introduce future goals for the school, regarding its commitments to the UN PRME Six Principles and to the 17 SDGs for 2030.
Achievements Curriculum Integration in the Field of Corporate Responsibility and Sustainability
* Porto Business School has included Business Ethics core courses in its MBA and EMBA curriculums for the past years
* The school clearly identifies ethics, sustainability and CSR related topics as fundamental as far as the main goals and intended learning objectives of its MBA programmes are concerned
* CSR is clearly embedded in the schools culture and educational actions; some examples: (i) strong volunteer participation in the local Junior Achievement initiative every year, (ii) collaboration with local public authorities in social development/training initiatives, (iii) participation of MBA graduates in internships in developing countries involving social entrepreneurship projects (e.g. Mozambique, Haiti), (iv) yearly sponsorships covering a significant part of the tuition fees for MBA applicants coming from developing countries (e.g. Zimbabwe, Malawi, etc.), (v) participation of the school community in social aid initiatives and donations
* It is in the school's plans to try to increasingly embedd CSR, ethics and sustainability matters in courses other than those specifically designed to address these topics (example: finance, organisational behaviour, global operations, internationalisation, etc.); it is to be noted, though, that the school already has a very strong component of soft skills training (including experiential learning) which clearly addresses some related topics (e.g. personal development, team management, group development, leadership, negotiation skills, power and influence, etc.)
Achievements Research Development in the Field of Corporate Responsibility and Sustainability
* The school has clearly addresses its CSR and sustainability related initiatives and achievements in its Yearly Activity Reports
* The school strictly follows the Code of Conduct of the University of Porto, and has also developed its own Code of Ethics, which is made available and spread across all the stakeholders (students, alumni, faculty, staff, corporate associates)
* A Knowledge Centre for Ethics and Sustainability is being formed in association with the Portuguese Association for Ethics, and has in its plans several initiatives such as organising impactful events, offering/supporting executive education, creating a benchmarking index, leading a European-Latin-American network of centres of excellence in these subject areas, gathering a pool of corporate associates (for fund raising), publishing research papers and case studies, as well as collaborating with international institutions (including the United Nations).
* The school plans to intensify its role in advising individuals and corporations for the importance of CSR, ethics and sustainability in business, namely through the promotion of the Global Compact Ten Principles within its community of individuals/executives and their corporations.