Details for Willamette University Atkinson Graduate School of Management
Type of Organization
Type of Education
Undergraduate, Post Graduate
Institution is part of
Salem, OR, United States
Sign Up Date to PRME
16 Feb 2011
Current Sharing Information on Progress Report Submission
02 Jun 2017
Sharing Information on Progress (2017)
Period Covered: Sep 2015 to May 2017
This report shares information on progress and goals related to PRME for the period of January 2015 through May 2017 for Willamette University's Atkinson Graduate School of Management.
Achievements Curriculum Integration in the Field of Corporate Responsibility and Sustainability
* Willamette University motto is “Not Unto Ourselves Alone are We Born.” All parts of the university continually strive to live up to this motto, particularly as it relates to service to one’s community, ethics, social responsibility and sustainability.
* Willamette University has an active Center for Sustainable Communities (http://www.willamette.edu/centers/csc/) and honors sustainability in 4 ways: Education, Environment, Equity and Economics. The University was recognized in 2008 as first in the U.S. for sustainability activities (http://www.willamette.edu/about/sustainability/index.html)
* The MBA programs integrate corporate responsibility, sustainability and ethics throughout all courses of the curriculums.
* Both MBA programs have required courses that focus on corporate responsibility, sustainability and ethics. In the full-time MBA program the required courses are: 1) Leading Ethical and Sustainable Enterprises, and 2) Governance and Leadership: Creating Value through Governance. The required course in the MBA for Program is Creating Value through Governance.
* Full-time MBA program offers an area of interest in Sustainability Management. The goal of the Sustainability Management area of interest is to create change agents (leaders) who have the knowledge and skills to create processes that maximize the likelihood that both the organization and the wider system on which it depends thrive in the present and the future. http://www.willamette.edu/agsm/full-time/curriculum/areas_interest/sustainability_management.htm
* Full-time MBA program is designed for early career and career change students, and emphasizes experiential learning. All students participate in teams that utilize the tools they learn in class to deliver consulting services that provide value to non-profit and government organizations and contribute to the greater social good.
* Executive Development Center offers the Sustainable Enterprise Certificate. The program takes a unique approach to presenting the interconnectedness of social well-being, financial success, and environmental health. http://www.willamette.edu/agsm/executive/sustainable_enterprise/index.htm
* MBA student professional organizations includes a chapter of Net Impact.
MBA program regularly participates and is ranked by the Aspen Institute’s Beyond Grey Pinstripes Survey.
* MBA program received the 2010 Team MBA award from the Graduate Management Admission Council. The award recognizes the school’s commitment to promoting and supporting corporate and social responsibility through school-led programs, services, institutional culture, and more.
* MBA program is a member the Peace Corps Fellows programs and has active partnerships with Teach for America, Vista, City Year, and others.
* MBA program undergoes regular assessment of the curriculum and learning experience. Program regularly closes the loop to provide improvements in programming and services.
* One of only two MBA programs in the world dually accredited for business (AACSB International) and public administration (NASPAA).
Achievements Research Development in the Field of Corporate Responsibility and Sustainability
* Executive Development Center offers customized programs and certificate programs (including the Sustainable Enterprise Certificate Program) that prepare “leaders to think holistically, act boldly and lead ethically in response to organizational and industry change.” http://www.willamette.edu/agsm/executive/
* Forthcoming article in the Journal of Public Affairs by MBA faculty members Elliot Maltz, Debra Ringold and Fred Thompson, “Assessing and Maximizing Corporate Social Initiatives: A strategic View of Corporate Social Responsibility.”
*The University Center for Sustainability sponsors and hosts conferences, symposia, and lectures critically examining issues of social, ecological, and economic sustainability; supports faculty and student sustainability research and curriculum development; develops partnerships with government agencies, non-profit organizations, and the business community that advance the understanding and practice of sustainability; and enhances the opportunities of students, faculty, and citizens for cross-sectoral engagement.
*The MBA program sponsors speakers from companies who discuss their sustainability and social responsibility philosophy and endeavors.
* Full-time MBA students work directly with the Oregon Ethics in Business Awards program, interviewing and researching organizations and individuals who been nominated for the annual awards based on their demonstrated ethical business practice in its broadest interpretation: in the workplace, the marketplace, the environment, and the community.