Details for University for Peace
Type of Organization
Type of Education
Institution is part of
Ciudad Colon, San Jose, Costa Rica
Sign up Date To PRME
25 Feb 2009
Last Sharing Information on Progress Report Submission
25 Oct 2012
Sharing Information on Progress (2012)
The University for Peace (UPEACE), which was founded by the United Nations in 1980, has long been teaching subjects such as international law, human rights, settlement of disputes, respect for other persons and cultures, sustainable development, and respect for the environment. These subjects are, of course, at the heart of the Principles of Responsible Management Education (PRME), and they remain the core of the education which UPEACE offers.
Sharing Information on Progress (2010)
The University for Peace (UPEACE), founded by the UN, teaches international law, human rights, settlement of disputes, sustainable development and the environment. These subjects are at the heart of the PRME and they remain the core of the education which UPEACE offers. UPEACE opened a new MA program, Responsible Management and Sustainable Economic Development. The rationale was that the economy is basic to world affairs, to human development, and to the future of the planet.
Achievements Curriculum Integration in the Field of Corporate Responsibility and Sustainability
Corporate responsibility is considered as an important subject in the newly developed MA program in Responsible Management and Sustainable Economic Development
CSR is a an important topic taught on the executive short course on Environmental Security that will be offered in August 2009 in Geneva, in collaboration with UNEP and FESS
Also, the UPEACE Centre for Executive and Professional Education developed a Corporate Social Responsibility (CSR) seminar that has been offered five times in three countries during the past 2 years to nearly 100 participants.
- In 2007 the seminar was developed and run in London (2 day-intensive) and Costa Rica (3-day intensive), with a total of 42 participants.
- In 2008, the seminar was run 3 times, adding Washington D.C. (1-day intensive) to the previous locations. A total of 47 participants had the experience during that year.
Sustainability: The Centre for Executive Education ran the seminar: Educational Leadership for Peace and Sustainability as a customized course for the University of San Diego's School of Educational Leadership. The course is likely to be offered again this year.
Achievements Research Development in the Field of Corporate Responsibility and Sustainability
Several of our graduate students research on the topic of CSR in their final graduation papers.
The UPEACE Centre for Executive and Professional Education is actively involved in 'CSR' and 'Sustainability' with companies in and out of the country:
- The Centre regularly invites private sector leaders and business owners of well known responsible corporations to share their experiences with UPEACE students on the overlapping roles and responsibilities of corporations and the public/nonprofit sectors.
- In Nov. 2008, the Centre met with and presented to the Costa Rican American Chamber of Commerces CSR committee.
- The Centre has hosted 3 groups of MBA students from the U.S. (Harvard Business School and Arcadia Univ.) in week-long courses that have included 'sustainability' and 'CSR' as key themes.
- The Centre is developing a 1-day CSR training in Spanish for Costa Rica-based corporations.