Details for School of Business, Society and Engineering - Department of Business and Social Sciences - Malardalen University
Type of Organization
Type of Education
Undergraduate, Post Graduate, Doctoral
Institution is part of
Sign Up Date to PRME
31 Oct 2016
Current Sharing Information on Progress Report Submission
Letter of Commitment (2016)
Achievements Curriculum Integration in the Field of Corporate Responsibility and Sustainability
• In 1999, Mälardalen University, as the first university in the world, was environmentally certified according to the international ISO14001 standard.
• Mälardalen University was the first higher education institution in Sweden to be certified for our working environment.
• ERS (Ethics, Responsibility and Sustainability) are tied into the current courses via lectures, case seminars and written examns
• We invited all English speaking business students to a series of business ethics lectures with an acknowledged researcher of ERS issues
Planning to achieve:
• Ensure that all Swedish and English speaking business programs have ERS issues integrated in their course curriculum
• Continue to annually host events and invite business students to a business ethics day with acknowledged speakers regarding ERS
• We recently updated our mission statement to signal an increasing focus on integrated elements of sustainable development and ethics in education
• Strengthen the teaching competence base within the area of ethics, responsibility and sustainability by taking these aspects into account when recruiting new faculty
Achievements Research Development in the Field of Corporate Responsibility and Sustainability
• Previous research on positional analysis for sustainable development where alternatives to neoclassical cost-benefit analysis, CBA, is suggested.
• Previous and ongoing research related to the theme of Smart Cities, which goal is aspiring to develop innovative solutions and tools for energy-smart cities, improving energy consumption.
• Previous research projects and publications about how the ”sustainable city” is shaped over time.
• Ongoing research and publications within the field of sustainable society. The Labour Market of the Future project comes within the scope of the Social Contract, which is a joint platform for cooperation. The Social Contract has been conducted since 2009 by MDH, Eskilstuna Municipality, Västerås City, the County Council of Södermanland and the County Council of Västmanland.
• On-going research on the potential conflict between economic growth and the environment.
• On-going research on the socio-economic and socio-cultural context and its relevance related to social responsibility
• On-going research on developing indicators to be utilized by real-estate management to enhance issues of sustainability in the dialog between stakeholders
Planning to achieve:
• Researchers will continue relating their reserach to issus of ethics, responsibilities and sustainablity in their engagement and cooperations with companies and municipalities
• To even further implement ERS in to our ongoing effort to link international academic research, business practice and society in promoting sustainable enterprises and communities.
• We recently updated our mission statement to signal an increasing focus on integrated elements of sustainable development and ethics in research
• Strengthen the reserach competence base within the area of ethics, responsibility and sustainability by taking these aspects into account when recruiting new faculty