Details for Western University
Type of Organization
Type of Education
Undergraduate, Post Graduate, Doctoral
Sign Up Date to PRME
08 Aug 2016
Current Sharing Information on Progress Report Submission
Letter of Commitment (2016)
Achievements Curriculum Integration in the Field of Corporate Responsibility and Sustainability
Western University is one of the first private universities in Baku, Azerbaijan . Founded in 1991, it has become one of the leading universities in the country. The University is located in an old architectural building dating back to the end of XIX century near the presidential palace and the old city, which is in the heart of beautiful downtown of Baku.
Western University was founded with the objective to create an educational institution, which would contribute to the economic, social and political development of Azerbaijan through training students to become graduated specialists who would satisfy the needs of the Republic during and after its economic transition. Many students attend the University from various countries around the world, which emphasizes the university’s international profile.
Western University graduates are sought by employers everywhere for their knowledge and reputation as innovators, leaders, and team players.
The 5 schools which include over 180 high caliber faculty members, provide undergraduate and graduate trainings in 36 specialties for over 1000 students on full-time, evening and correspondence courses.
Western University is a private teaching universitythat has been active in the Higher Education sector since 1991. Western University’s multicultural community provides a global perspective and multiple opportunities to gain life-long skills and knowledge.
True to the vision of its founder, Western University will:
- Continue to broaden its educational activities and extend contracts with international partners
- Provide an environment of teaching excellence, with teaching that is world-class, globally collaborative and internationally recognized
- Strive to be progressive and keep abreast of trends in the academic arena.
The mission of Western University is to make a positive contribution to the society by delivering a high level of teaching and research at the highest international levels of excellence.
We aim to:
- Provide the highest quality learning and teaching environment for our students
- Enhance our position as a leading teaching university in Azerbaijan and increase our international profile
- Produce employable graduates fully equipped to achieve the highest personal and professional standards
- Stimulate and encourage research
- Contribute to the economic, social and political development of Azerbaijan through teaching students to become specialists who would satisfy the needs of the Republic during its economic transition.
Western University has been
- a member of Black Sea Universities Network since 1999
- a corporate member of International Institute of Administrative Sciences since 2001
- a member of International Tourism Association "Atlas".
For its achievements in the academic field in the years 2002, 2003, 2004, 2006 and 2009, Western University was awarded the Diploma "Ugur" as the best higher educational establishment.
Western University’s Cooperative Social Responsibility (CSR) initiatives reflect our commitment to operate in a sustainable and socially responsible environment.
Being a good cooperative citizen and playing a pivotal role in the society is of utmost importance to the University, we aim to pursue our economic, environmental and social goals as one.
From continuously by developing our educational experience constantly considering the effect of our activities on the local community, we strive to improve our CSR performance across all the aspects of the University.
Western University’s Cooperative Social Responsibility initiatives.
The University places a great importance on helping local communities and plays a role of a good cooperative citizen in Azerbaijan’s society. Our students have earnestly engaged in the CSR activities organized by the University. These include:
- Visits to orphanages and care homes;
- Active participation in City Cleaning campaign;
- Planting trees and cleaning Caspian seaside under Care about the Environment initiative
The University has also been proactively seeking ways to improve entrepreneurial skills and knowledge of the population in rural areas to boost the economic development of Azerbaijan. In the frame of partnership project with Nottingham Trent University, the Faculty of Business Administration has provided a number of training courses on Entrepreneurial and Business Management Skills to help small business in rural parts of Azerbaijan.
Moreover, as a part of law clinic initiators, Western university has acquired great expertise in working with public on legal matters.
Achievements Research Development in the Field of Corporate Responsibility and Sustainability
- As part of human capital development and institutional capacity building, we have recently become a member of WIPO Depository Library and WTO document dissemination programmes, which will contribute to our efforts us to work closely, on joint research projects and knowledge development, with the companies in the field of CSR;
- We plan to sign MoU with the leading research centers in Geneva, Switzerland with the aim of conducting joint academic researchs on various issues, including on CSR.
- We intend to establish CSR Center at our university and plan to increase its status to the regional level to cooperate and collaborate with the relevant research institutions and universities from the Central Asia.