Details for Qassim University College of Business and Economics
Type of Organization
Type of Education
Undergraduate, Post Graduate
Institution is part of
Buraydah, Al Qassim, Saudi Arabia
Sign Up Date to PRME
02 Dec 2013
Current Sharing Information on Progress Report Submission
16 Nov 2017
Sharing Information on Progress (2016)
Period Covered: Jan 2017 to Jan 2016
The College of Business and Economics at Qassim University prepared its regular SIP report for the years 2016
Achievements Curriculum Integration in the Field of Corporate Responsibility and Sustainability
CBE is focusing on social responsibility through; earning goals and objects for both graduate and in order graduate programs. Such focus has been raised through the process of developing those goals and objectives that was based on the stakeholders’ needs and expectations. CBE is going now (during the academic year 2013/2014) into the process of assurance of learning (AoL) to assure the achievement of its programs’ learning goals and objectives.
• Considering that CBE is working in one of the biggest emerging economics in the middle east named Saudi Arabia, CBE is going to start implementing many initiatives that help in getting it more engaged with the social and business community. One of those initiatives is the agreement between CBE and Unaizah Investment Company that aims to help entrepreneurs starting and recovering their business in AlQassim Region. Also, the agreement between CBE and Centennial Fund (one of the governmental agencies that was established to support young people in their careers) is in place now, this agreement is intended to start career advising activities for all AlQassim Young people together with CBE’s students based on a well-defined process by the Centennial Fund.
• Together, CBE programs’ learning goals and objectives, and CBE’s initiatives are going to help CBE to play a leading role in the social responsibility activities and sustaining it in AlQassim Region.
Achievements Research Development in the Field of Corporate Responsibility and Sustainability
The CBE aims to offer current business knowledge and skills through its programs and courses, and it believes that basic and applied research with other relevant intellectual contributions that can be produced by the faculty member are the suitable tools to achieve such a target. So, the CBE's mission statement is focusing on the intellectual contribution to business knowledge, as one of the main tasks of the faculty members. Therefore the CBE is committed to create an environment that fosters research by faculty members through recognition, promotion, rewards, retention policies, and providing an infrastructure that supports them to update their knowledge, and to maintain their academic or professional qualifications.
• In this regard, CBE is going through the process of forming the college research priorities, one of the main priorities is the social responsibility as a key topic in the emerging markets, and due the need of such research in the Saudi context and in AlQassim Region. Its expected to encourage faculty members to start their research in the CSR area and help in filling some gaps in this context.
• During the first semester of the academic year 2013/2014, the accounting department started a process of shared teaching for the course named Research Seminar in Accounting, through this course professors are focusing on the CSR as the main idea for all student’s projects, they started from defining the key CSR activities in the Saudi listed companies in order to discover those practices and looking for CSR problems in the Saudi context. The students were allocated into groups, and each group is responsible for evaluating the CSR for 5 companies. At the end of this course, students are expected to be able to identify CSR practices and problems through a scientific research approach which allow them to be responsible people in their career life, at the same time, it’s expected to have one to three published papers at the end of this course based on the students-professor efforts.
* The College has also positively participated in establishing a Sustainable Development Centre at Qassim University, a first centre of its kinds to be established in the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia. One of the major objectives of the Centre isto conduct researches in issues related to sustainable development, mainly its environmental, social and economic dimensions. The CBE’s academic staff has contributed intensively in the Centre’s activities and in its Scientific Board.