Details for Chiang Mai University Faculty of Business Administration
Type of Organization
Type of Education
Undergraduate, Post Graduate, Doctoral
Institution is part of
Chiang Mai University
Chiang Mai, Thailand
Sign Up Date to PRME
05 Jun 2013
Current Sharing Information on Progress Report Submission
26 Jun 2015
Sharing Information on Progress (2015)
Period Covered: May 2013 to Jun 2015
Faculty of Business Administration, Chaing Mai, Thailand
Achievements Curriculum Integration in the Field of Corporate Responsibility and Sustainability
- In our current curriculum, the topics of corporate responsibility and sustainability are integrated in the content of several courses, and more heavily focused in 3 core courses: Principle of Management, Principle of Marketing, and Business Ethics.
- In the Business Research Methodology course, students are assigned projects related to corporate responsibility and sustainability. These projects are conducted with the aim of integrating our Faculty’s three missions, teaching, conducting research and providing academic service, in addition to community development.
- The doctoral program in Business Administration has begun to emphasize knowledge and research projects on sustainability in across disciplines. We recruited a senior faculty member with a strong focus and expertise in teaching and research in the topic of sustainability and corporate social responsibility, to guide doctoral students. She has offered a special topic seminar course related to these topics in the past two years, in addition to currently guiding 3 doctoral student dissertations related to sustainability marketing strategy and consumption. She has also provided regular feedback to other doctoral students to move forward in this research direction.
- The master’s degree programs in Business Administration encourage executives, junior managers and other graduate students to work on team projects which focus on corporate social responsibility and sustainability. For instance, in this past academic year, projects in the MBA International Marketing and MM Marketing Strategy courses require a heavy content in CSR and sustainability. Lectures and class discussions on these topics were also included.
- The Faculty of Business Administration at Chiang Mai University recently expanded our official mission related to corporate responsibility and sustainability in all areas: curriculum, research and community services , as follows:
‘Provide academic service’ as one of our mission, faculty members together with students conducted the projects that transfer their knowledge and experiences to communities throughout the year, such as Natural Resource Management under Sustainable Economy Philosophy projects.
- Incorporate extracurricular activities that emphasize corporate social responsibility in Student Development Plan, such as rural development camps
Achievements Research Development in the Field of Corporate Responsibility and Sustainability
- One out of our six research themes is relating to corporate social responsibility. A number of research studies were conducted under this theme, which then provided the results of direct benefits to communities. The leadership of our Faculty of Business Administration has always encouraged, recognized and supported academic research by faculty members of all departments with a strong focus on corporate social responsibility and sustainability. A few recent flagship projects are highlighted next.
- A large group of faculty and doctoral students conducted the research project on social enterprise strategy and practice, funded by the Royal Thai Government. This project aimed to help promote social enterprises in the northern part of Thailand, concrete recommendations on strategy and practice for achieving the triple bottom line of people, planet and profit. The project was divided into four phases, social enterprise survey, network building, consulting/training and publicity.
- Two more examples include the project on forest resource management under Sustainable Economy Philosophy, and our most recent sustainable tourism project for northern Thailand that is being wrapped up.