Details for School of Management, IT and Governance, University of KwaZulu-Natal
Type of Organization
Type of Education
Undergraduate, Post Graduate, Doctoral
Institution is part of
University of KwaZulu-Natal
Westville, KwaZulu-Natal, South Africa
Sign Up Date to PRME
05 Jun 2013
Current Sharing Information on Progress Report Submission
03 Jun 2017
Letter of Commitment (2017)
Sharing Information on Progress (2016)
Period Covered: Jan 2016 to Apr 2017
As an institution of higher education involved in the development of current and future managers, the University of KwaZulu-Natal, and the School of Management, IT and Governance is committed to progress in the implementation of the Principles for Responsible Management Education. We understand that our own organizational practices should serve as an example of the values and attitudes we convey to our students.
Achievements Curriculum Integration in the Field of Corporate Responsibility and Sustainability
1. Teaching of business ethics and corporate social responsibility as a field in applied business ethics in the Business Administration degree. (Business Management 313).
2. Incorporated social, environmental, economic and human issues in decision making towards entrepreneurship . (Entrepreneurship Strategy and Sustainability ENTR607).
3. Introduced ethics and ways of moral reasoning that will equip commerce students to be able to competently address ethical quandaries in the business context. (Ethics in Business, and Business Ethics FBIM617/MARK6DO/MGNT310/MGNT609).
4. Incorporated approaches to ethics, in company policies, social responsibility, fraud, affirmative action, moral dilemmas facing employees. (Managerial Ethics in the Workplace, HRMG2EO).
5. Incorporated ethical conduct and professionalism, as well as sustainable development practices in public management and governance modules (Introduction to / and Advanced Public Sector Financial Management PADM2CO/PADM8WO, Sustainable Development and Governance PADM8NO)
Achievements Research Development in the Field of Corporate Responsibility and Sustainability
1. Developing research on the shaping of ethical and transformational leaders for sustainable public governance.
2. Producing research on the moral economy and the academic as a value agent.
3. Planning to engage with local business representative organisations on corporate responsibility and sustainable business practices in our context in KwaZulu-Natal.
4. Working on research possibilities to address ethics and accountability in the management of local governments in South Africa. Proposing that the Commonwealth engages in this with us.
5. Propose to initiate research on ethical, responsible and sustainable entrepreneurship practices in South Africa.