Details for Riga International School of Economics and Business Administration (RISEBA)
Type of Organization
Type of Education
Undergraduate, Post Graduate, Doctoral, Executive
Riga , Latvia, Latvia
Sign Up Date to PRME
06 Apr 2010
Current Sharing Information on Progress Report Submission
19 Jul 2016
Sharing Information on Progress (2016)
Period Covered: Apr 2014 to Jun 2016
It is our honour to welcome you at RISEBA – the University where business meets arts. Nowadays functional knowledge alone is not sufficient to succeed professionally in an increasingly complex business environment. RISEBA is continuing its 23rd academic year and throughout its impressive growth has been striving to develop towards sustainability and diversity, which is evidenced by our activities, achievements and accomplishments.
Achievements Curriculum Integration in the Field of Corporate Responsibility and Sustainability
Also we did not officially join PRME until now, we are very aware of its activities through CEEMAN. We used principles for responsible Management Education as guidelines for the development of RISEBA strategy for the period of 2008-2013 and use them in our everyday activities. Ethics and Social Responsibility have been identified as one of the core values on which RISEBA bases its activities. The text below shows how this value has been described in our official documents.
Ethics and Social Responsibility. RISEBA acts as an ethical and socially responsible employer and puts all the efforts to increase students’ consciousness about the role of business in helping cultivate and maintain highly ethical practices in society and in the environment.
The following activities serve as an example of our achievement up to date and plans for the future:
• Topics of business ethics, corporate social responsibility and sustainability are included in all programmes offered by RISEBA;
• In addition to having a module specifically dedicated to the ethics and corporate social responsibility, these issues are integrated in the curriculum and are included in other subjects as well in order to demonstrate their application at different levels and show students the dilemmas faced by managers and CEOs;
• RISEBA designates certain amount of financial resources annually for various charity activities and involves students in them (e.g. support of a kindergarten for children with eyesight disabilities and an orphanage);
• RISEBA provides scholarships for socially deprived students and those who are temporarily unemployed;
• RISEBA thought the activities of the Students council organises various socially responsible activities ( e.g. annual donor day when students and staff of RISEBA donate blood to the hospital)
• RISEBA introduced the policy of minimal paper copying and encourages the use of electronic media by faculty and students;
• The new campus, the construction of which is due to begin in September 2010 is designed as a green campus; the most modern energy saving technologies are to be applied at its construction.
Achievements Research Development in the Field of Corporate Responsibility and Sustainability
• As part of the EU funded project EEA LV-0040 “Developing and Delivering Innovative Training Modules for Baltic Executives Using Interdisciplinary Approach to Entrepreneurship and Advanced Technologies (in progress) we have had 20 living case studies of Latvian companies looking at sustainable business development from the ethical and social responsibility point of view. The research analysed companies from various industries ranging from High Tech to Fishing and the workshops organised as part of the project were attended by more then 100 faculty members and over 200 business executives;
• We recently introduced sustainability and corporate social responsibility into our research agenda and encourage Master’s and doctoral research in this area.
Research in Progress:
“Corporate Social Responsibility of Latvian Companies as a Means of Building Energy Efficient Economy” ( Master’s level);
“The role of morality in the business decision-making and the impact of moral decisions on business success” (Doctoral level);
• In future to make the research more systematic the decision has been made to form a research group dedicated to sustainability and CSR;
• We are currently participating in the project on defining Sustainability Index of selected Latvian companies (as an organization) which will help to identify our current position in terms of sustainability and help decide on future activities
• In cooperation with the Latvian Employers Confederation we plan to engage in the activities aimed at promoting ideas of corporate social responsibility and sustainability among Latvian companies.