Details for UNSW Business School
Type of Organization
Type of Education
Undergraduate, Post Graduate, Doctoral, Executive
Institution is part of
University of New South Wales
Sydney, NSW, Australia
Sign Up Date to PRME
24 Aug 2009
Current Sharing Information on Progress Report Submission
24 Mar 2017
Sharing Information on Progress (2017)
Period Covered: Mar 2017 to Mar 2019
This report presents an overview of the values and activities driving UNSW Business School's commitment to responsible management education. It reviews signficiant developments and outcomes in this area between 2015 and2017, and outlines future plans for the next two years (2017-2019).
Achievements Curriculum Integration in the Field of Corporate Responsibility and Sustainability
UNSW Business School has achieved good progress with respect to all six principles for responsible management education. In the Post Rio+20 global environment, our institution is committed to making sustainability and social responsibility cornerstones of our research, teaching and engagement activities. Key achievements in the context of curriculum integration, program design and course development include:
• Systematic curriculum mapping to identify business courses in which students learn, practice and are assessed on ethical, social, cultural and environmental themes.
• Our Capturing the Champions of Responsible Management Education project was successful in its efforts to present a snapshot of how we engage with PRME across our undergraduate and postgraduate programs. The final report enabled us to acknowledge programs and courses that were identified as being examples of best practice.
• The Champions project also resulted in the launch of a PRME Community of Practice which will serve as a platform for future activities and events within the Business School.
• As highlighted in our latest SIP Report, we have introduced new programs, courses and practicums that strengthen our commitment to PRME. Prime examples are the new MBA (Social Impact), an undergraduate flexible core Creating Social Change: From Innovation to Impact and the undergraduate Social Entrepreneurship Practicum.
• The Business School has also progressed in terms of integrating learning and teaching resources available to academic staff through sections dedicated to ethics, responsibility and sustainability pedagogy on the staff intranet.
Achievements Research Development in the Field of Corporate Responsibility and Sustainability
UNSW Business School is a research intensive institution and, as articulated in our Strategy 2020, we are committed to conducting and disseminating high impact research. PRME-related research occurs across all eight of our research focused disciplinary schools. In addition, the Business School is involved in PRME-related research across a number of Research Centres. Examples include the Centre for Social Impact and the Centre for Energy and Environmental Markets.
As detailed in our latest SIP Report, our academics are producing high impact research in areas such as Responsible Leadership, Integrated Reporting, Climate Change Mitigation, Ageing Populations, Ethical Marketing and Outcomes Measurement, including publications in outlets such as the Journal of Business Ethics.
The School is committed to sharing its intellectual capital through the new online business journal, BusinessThink. It is a platform for research findings, analysis and opinion, delivering engaging articles by professional writers, video interviews and podcasts that bring the latest research by the school to a wider audience. Business Think’s purpose is to translate research from the school's leading academics into business insight and ideas that can inform and change the way executives do business as well as influence policy and strategic decisions, including PRME-related themes.