Details for University of Wisconsin Whitewater, College of Business and Economics
Type of Organization
Type of Education
Undergraduate, Post Graduate
Institution is part of
University of Wisconsin Whitewater
Whitewater, Wisconsin, United States
Sign Up Date to PRME
25 Apr 2008
Current Sharing Information on Progress Report Submission
20 Apr 2017
Sharing Information on Progress (2017)
Period Covered: Apr 2015 to Apr 2017
Achievements Curriculum Integration in the Field of Corporate Responsibility and Sustainability
1. The Mission Statement of the College of Business & Economics articulates a “commitment to the cultivation of high standards of ethical and professional conduct.”
2. One of five college strategic objectives states: The College is committed to the belief that business is a noble profession with a tremendous capacity to “do good” in the world. We embrace the Principles of Responsible Management Education as set forward by the United Nations Global Compact. We will cultivate high standards of ethical and professional conduct among our students, faculty and staff. We support an agenda which includes activities and curriculum related to professional integrity, sustainable business, social responsibility, globalization and social entrepreneurship.
3. All undergraduate core business courses (7 three-credit courses) integrate ethics into course content, and all courses in the BBA discuss related ethical considerations
4. Students completing both undergraduate and graduate business programs (BBA and MBA degrees) are assessed for their global awareness and ability to identify ethical issues, two of the college’s five articulated learning goals for the business degree.
5. A corporate governance emphasis is currently in the development stage. This program would be cross-discipline (management, finance, law and accounting)
6. Students in classes are often involved in projects related to global economic development, sustainability and social entrepreneurship issues.
7. A relatively new college student organization, the Business Ethics Student Association (BESA), hosts a Business Ethics Week each year, during which presentations on numerous aspects business of business ethics are made by alumni and members of the regional business community.
8. Students and faculty are asked to commit to an honor code upon entering the college. The codes are posted on college web pages.
9. A certificate program in business ethics is currently being developed as a result of a faculty grant award.
10. The college sponsors speakers for the university Earth Day program
Achievements Research Development in the Field of Corporate Responsibility and Sustainability
1. A certificate program in business ethics is currently being developed as a result of a faculty grant award.
2. College faculty participate in business ethics conferences on an annual basis, including a seminar on teaching business ethics, a conference on corporate governance and a roundtable on sustainable business.
3. Faculty are involved in research in a broad range of areas addressing corporate responsibility and sustainability including: green computing, cross-cultural social responsibility, Micro-enterprise and social capital, e-governance, economic value and lake quality, environmental economics, fair trade, green packaging. etc.
4. Industry speakers are frequently brought to classes and organization meetings to address ethics issues.
5. The college has five outreach centers that work with organizations on a number of issues related to ethics, sustainability and environmental economics